Bok Choy Salad with Homemade Creamy Vinaigrette ♥

Bok Choy Salad with Homemade Creamy Vinaigrette ♥ AVeggieVenture.com
graphic button small size size 10 Today's quick, flexible and dare-I-say addictive salad recipe: Raw bok choy stalks and greens tossed in a light creamy vinaigrette, topped with whatever you choose but really special with seasonal fruit, a little cheese and toasted nuts. Low Carb. Weight Watchers Friendly. Naturally Gluten Free. And of course, Totally Delicious! graphic button small size size 10

~recipe updated, first published way back in 2008~
~more recently updated recipes~

Yum. Yuuuuum. Bok choy is the current salad obsession around here. It's got great crunch and a slight bite, a poor man's arugula. For a quick salad at lunch or a supper salad, I add whatever is on hand, some times veering toward more vegetables but more often to salad in the photograph with fruit (citrus is lovely, so are apples and pears), a crumbly cheese (a fresh cheese like goat cheese or a good blue or a creamy feta) and toasted walnuts. It's filling, it's satisfying. It makes for a great salad to share, even a supper salad.

For years and years, I've made really only one one favorite salad dressing recipe. Now there are two! This homemade creamy vinaigrette is it! Yes, it's made with cream. But for four side-salad servings, the dressing itself contributes only 18 calories. That's so do-able! And for one big serving, a substantial supper salad, the dressing only contributes 72 calories. Very do-able. This is definitely a good recipe to add to your arsenal of salad dressings, because you know, the goal is to Never Buy Salad Dressing Again!

COMPLIMENTS!
graphic button small size size 10 "... the salad was so fresh and cool and crunchy ...." ~ Kirsten from Farm Fresh Feasts
graphic button small size size 10 "I made this for a party ... in my largest bowl and the bowl was empty after dinner. I kept getting comments on how yummy the salad was." ~ Eli's Lunchbox

BOK CHOY SALAD with CREAMY VINAIGRETTE

Hands-on time: 5 minutes (dressing only)
Time to table: depends on chosen ingredients
Serves 4 with generous side salads

HOMEMADE CREAMY VINAIGRETTE
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or lemon juice or another vinegar)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon good mustard
Salt & pepper to taste, just a touch

BOK CHOY SALAD
Bok choy, trimmed, chopped - 8 ounces
Chopped green onion - 1 or 2
Fresh goat cheese - 1 ounce
Toasted walnuts - 1 ounce
Fresh fruit - 1/2 apple, a tangerine, etc.

HOMEMADE CREAMY VINAIGRETTE Whisk the cream until pillowy, it helps to use a small whisk in a smaller bowl, with the bowl held at an angle. It takes a minute or two, just keep whisking! Whisk in vinegar, sugar and mustard. Taste and season, taste again.

BOK CHOY SALAD Toss bok choy and green onion with Homemade Creamy Vinaigrette, transfer into a salad bowl or onto individual salad plates. Top with cheese, nuts and fruit. Serve immediately.

ALANNA'S TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
It would be easier to make the Vinaigrette if it called for more cream. But since it doesn't keep well, you do want to make only enough for the current meal.



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic




Eat more vegetables! A Veggie Venture is the home of Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg and is the award-winning source of free vegetable recipes, quick, easy, and yes, delicious. Start with the Alphabet of Vegetables or dive into all the Weight Watchers vegetable recipes or all the low carb vegetable recipes.

© Kitchen Parade 2008 & 2017 (repub)
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Looks so good Alanna. I do appreciate your nutrition notes also. These dressings look wonderful and don't take you over the edge with the calories!
    Have to check out the pi event but I fear I've got too much bread around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I've never taken to raw bok choy, though I love it cooked. When I have it in salads, I always blanch for a minute or so. I know this makes it less crunchy, but for all of the cruciferous vegetables it seems to make them easier to digest (for me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, Alanna, I've only ever had bok choy in one piece - I never even thought about chopping it! But then you're right, it has got a lovely crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never thought of using bok choy raw, but, seeing as how we eat raw cabbage, I think it's a wonderful idea! In fact, I have some in my fridge. I must do some experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always saute my bok choy and had forgotten how good it is salad. Thanks for the delicious reminder, Alanna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 31, 2008

    The bok choy in the CSA share is still going strong!
    I made this salad last week while picnicking at my folks' pool! I toasted the walnuts and put most of the dressing ingredients in one of my bento containers for transport.
    I felt silly sitting on the lanai whisking cream, but the salad was so fresh and cool and crunchy it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this for a party we had. I didn't have cream so I used 1/2n1/2. I also used toasted pecans instead of walnuts. I made it in my largest bowl and the bowl was empty after dinner. I kept getting comments on how yummy the salad was. :D thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna